Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Heartbreaking Scene For Our Country

Woke up this morning and felt weak... Food poisoning has hit me bad but that does not even come close to how badly I felt when I turned on the television at around 5 pm. I caught a glimpse of the hostage drama around 2 pm but I didn't think it would end this way.

Around 6 pm, wanting to watch the news, I got glued to the events that were happening live. A man was sitting on the floor crying to police officers not to take him... relatives hanging on to him so that the police won't get to him. I don't blame him one bit for fearing for his life... the PNP's reputation does not even come close to what they are supposed to be doing... saving and protecting our lives.

With all bits and pieces of what I hear in the news, the details of the case is still not clear, but my heart broke seeing that man crying and hold on to dear life, not wanting the police to take him. I feared that he might have a stroke. I cried because if he was a relative or a friend, I will not want to see him in that situation. My heart bled for him... whether or not he has something to do with this, I fear for his life too. You never know what the PNP can do to him and that saddens me.

Watching the different torture videos and the abuse of power that the PNP does, I find it difficult right now to give them the respect that we should give to uniformed officials. There's so many changes that need to be done to fix the system.

With all that has happened, I have so many questions which may or may not be answered truthfully since you'll never know whether you get an unbiased information.

1. Why did the SPO2 Mendoza's dismissal happened when he does not have a copy of the ombudsman's decision?
2. How can a man with numerous medals of honors have a measly Php19,000 ($400)/ month salary? -- Now I understand why he wants reinstatement since he needs his benefits after retirement. He doesn't have enough for himself and his family.
3. Why does media need to exploit the father of SPO2 Mendoza? He's old and frail. He should not be exposed in such a vulnerable state.
4. Why did the PNP arrest his brother that way? I'm pretty sure they know that they cannot agitate the hostage takers?
5. How can you regulate the media in situations like these?
6. Why are Pinoys such usiseros that they need to be in a scene where they are in direct harm's way?

I will sleep tonight with fear and sadness in my heart. There's so much to be fixed in the system. I don't know how they will begin but hopefully the PNP works on their system so things like this won't happen again.

Here's a video of the suspect's brother being forced by PNP to be taken into custody.


No comments: