Friday, July 11, 2008

Eat Pray Love


I've put off buying an ipod until now. I didn't think I needed it. I was in the office all the time and I can use my computer anyway to listen to music. But now, I don't think I can leave the house alone without it.

Yes, the music keeps me company but what I found as my new companions are the audiobooks! I love reading books but I can't seem find the time to sit down and read. Now, where ever I go, I read (or listen!) as the case maybe.

My walking companion these past few days is Elizabeth Gilbert. In her new book Eat, Pray, Love, she narrates her year of travel all around Italy, India and Indonesia. Her voice is so soothing that I get sucked into the experience that she's telling me about. The way she described the pizza she ate in Naples, Italy made me melt into pieces and wished I was there eating the double cheese margherita pizza with fresh tomato sauce on a thin but gooey crust that just melts in your mouth. Ohhhhh.... That's heaven in a pan!

Her journey from being an unhappy wife to self-discovery enchants me. Her depression and sadness was described beautifully but I still can't fathom how such pain, feeling and thoughts can happen to one person... I get bits and pieces of it from experience but I really am praying I don't experience that much helplessness. I love her adventures though and how she's trying to get out of that rut.

Some of my favorite lines from the book:
SO LOVE HIM. SO MISS HIM.
Stop putting your wishbone where you backbone ought to be.
** I understand this as accepting how you feel at the moment. You don't have to act on everything that you feel but you can acknowledge them.

There are so many more that I can't remember right now but this book is something I would keep on my ipod and keep listening to over and over again.

No comments: