Monday, August 20, 2007

Healthy Living Update # 2

I'm on my 3rd week of this new lifestyle and I'm doing pretty good. I find the weekend to be the hardest for me, mainly because of eating out and not a lot of good salad choices. I'm sure that there are good restaurants out there with good salads, I just need to find them. :-) I will let you know when I find them. If you know of any (other than Friday's grilled chicken ceasar and Cyma's Rota Salata [ugh! this salad is to die for!]) please let me know!

Here are the eating places I tried this weekend and my personal rating:

a. Indulgence (location: along Perea St. Legaspi Village, Makati)
-- My friends and I love this cozy restaurant. The owner is Ms. Ressa, who's is a super sweet lady. She (or her husband) is also very aristic and is into wonderfully created pottery. You can also buy the different pieces you see in the resto.

When we started hanging out there, the biggest come on is the tasty tinola and the super yummy desert. Those are really must tries. Last Friday, I just had a serving of their fish curry with rotti bread. It's filling but I'm not really a fan of tuna so this one is just so so for me. Their green salad with fish shreds was not available that night. For dessert, I tried their Brownie cheese cake. Very creamy but not sweet! I loved it! You must have it with a friend though coz its too rich to be eaten alone.

Not a lot of salad choices but they still have a few choices for non-meat dishes.

Rating: ***

b. Cafe Meditteranean (location: Power plant mall, Rockwell)
-- I think Ed and I indulged ourselves too much in this resto! :-) We ordered the fish kebab pizza (good for 2 people) which is really tasty! It took about 20 minutes to prepare but its so worth the wait. Ed also ordered the vegetable soup (I forgot the name of the soup!) which he really enjoyed since he's also in the vegetable and seafood diet.

We also ordered my favorite chicken kebab! It's grilled so there's no oil! Always super yummy! Eating this with the garlic sauce and extra tabouleh is the bomb! :-) Try eating it with the whole wheat pita bread! Yummy and still healthy.

Rating: ****

c. Legaspi Village Orangic Market (location: Behind the Corinthian Plaza Bldg near GB1)
-- My family got very curious about my stories of going to the Salcedo Saturday Market that they decided to go around the Legaspi Village Market and decided to have lunch there. This one is not as big as the Salcedo Market but it also has its share of interesting greens and food. If you are used to the Salcedo Market as a big grocey, this one will look like a small sari-sari store for you. :-)

One thing I like here is the fresh chinese lumpia that they are selling and the japche noodles. :-) Also, you can get the greens and bring it home for an organic lunch! :-)

Rating: ***

d. Di Marks (location: Greenbelt 3, Makati)

- Big disappoint this weekend is the meal in Di Mark's in Greenbelt. I tried their tossed salad... WWAAAHHH!!! I wanted to cry. It was full of really sour and unpalatable italian dressing. The Mushroom Pasta in Tomato sauce was not something you would want to order. To top it all, the Roasted Garlic and shrimp pizza had 5 or 6 slices (note: not pieces but very small sliced shrimps!) per slice! Never again will I go back to that restaurant!!! It might have been really good in the past but they have not been able to keep up with the restos in their same market.

Rating: 0

e. Heaven 'n Eggs (location: Glorietta 4, Makati)
-- This is my Dad's new favorite restaurant! He loves the Fish Taco which he made me try. Not bad! Not much dressing which gives more flavor to the fish and enough vegetables to fill you for a snack.

Next time, I'll try their Baja fish dish and their salads. I was too full from the lunch to eat more than the fish taco. I'll also try their salads. They sounded interesting from the menu.

Rating: ***

f. NYPD (location: Greenbelt 3, cinema area)
-- Ok! Ok! I know that this is not a restaurant but after the meal in Di Mark's, I needed something else to eat. This place actually surprised me. They have 3 to 4 choices of salad, from Steaks and Greens to Ceasar Salad! Not bad for stall in a mall. They also serve pasta which is only around P100 to P200.00/ serving.

I will definitely try their salad soon.

I have only tried their mushroom soup which was good enough to get me through the night after the unappetizing Di Mark's experience!

Rating: soon...


Since it's a holiday today, I decided to cook lunch and prepare the stuff I would need for my meals this week. I just got the August edition of Yummy magazine and I tried a couple of there recipes. What I enjoy about this magazine now is that they have a good portion for non-meat eaters and healthy eaters that I can try!

The first recipe I tried is the Pasta with Mushroom. I also used whole wheat spaghettini. (That's my find for the week!) I thought it would be grainy and very different from the regular semolina flour spaghetti but it was surprisingly GOOD! They also have penne and a couple of others on sale in SM Makati Supermarket. Check out this page to find the recipe for Pasta with Mushroom.

Lunch today had Mixed Greens with a choice of Herbed cheese dressing or Orange Zesty dressing.

I've also been able to maintain my work-outs almost daily, 3x a week minimum. Doing pretty well and excited to get to my third week!

Find for the week:
1. Wholesome Moisson "whole wheat" Spaghettini - Found it on sale in SM Makati Supermarket. P49.95 per pack.

No comments: