Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Healthy Living Update # 1

It's been a week since I really put myself into this new lifestyle and I'm enjoying it. :-) I realized that I can make it exciting for me too. Finding new substitutes for my old unhealthy food is fun! It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

The only downside of it, food is not as cheap as the normal unhealthy food. A usual rice and viand can cost around P40.00 to P70.00 from Mc Donalds or the jolly jeep. Salads from KFC, Mc Donalds and Wendy's range from P70 to P100.

Variety is also the key for me so I can continue to enjoy my new lifestyle. Different kinds of salad dressings excite me now. I've tried the Honey Mustard Dressing of Gourmet and its pretty good but I'm sure there are so much more bottled dressings out there that's equally good.

Last night I made a Creamy Garlic French Dressing which is pretty good. I've also started to prepare the salad toppings so I will have a variety of things on my salad so I won't get bored! From feta cheese to hard boiled eggs to marinating chicken... the fun never stops! :-)

The organic market in Salcedo Village, Makati every Sunday can also provide you with a lot of salad dressing choices. I noticed that they have different varieties of dressings from Gourmet that they don't sell in grocery stores. I also tried the Strawberry and Orange dressings of (Oh no! I forgot the name!), that's when I realized I'm not very fond of fruity dressings. Maybe not at the moment. I'm looking forward to Saturday so I can get the Herbed Cheese Dressing and Garlic Dressing of Gourmet!

I want to share with you my new product findings in the market that you may also find yummy, affordable and healthy!

a. Fruit Juice Yogurt -- my favorite is the Strawberry flavored one! Super yummy and gives me energy when I'm hungry in the middle of the day. This only costs P10.00.

b. Nestle Fruit Yogurt 0% Fat free -- I like the strawberry and the mango. I have yet to try the Berries flavor. This is also one of my energy food. This only costs about P32.00 each. They have different flavors too that I'm sure are as yummy as my strawberry.

c. Nestle Fitness and Fruit Cereals - I don't want to sound like a Nestle fan but it seems like Nestle's products are very helpful for people like me who are shifting to a healthier lifestyle.
This cereal is made of whole wheat grain and its really tasty and crunchy. It also has dried fruits that makes it tastier. I normally eat this in the morning with Skim Milk and chocolate syrup. Perfect way to start my day! This costs P149.50 per box.

d. Alaska Skim Milk - Yes, it's 98% fat free but its still tasty and you can still taste the creaminess of the milk without the over powering fat content. This costs around P58.00 per box.

e. Hershey's 50% Lite chocolate syrup - Yes... I still indulge on this or I won't be able to eat cereals with just milk alone! :-) One bottle is about P140.00.

f. Village Gourmet Whole Wheat Pandesal - A perfect substitute for white bread. I bring a couple of these with me to work everyday so I can snack on them. I tried it with Saranggani Bangus in Olive Oil! YUMMY!!! A pack of of 8 or 10 is about P68.75.

Partnered with yoga, pilates or lite cardio work out daily, I'm enjoying the benefits of this new lifestyle. I've also quit smoking so I can breathe better and my body feels lighter. It's a big plus that I look good in my clothes too! :-)

I still indulge in pizza, pasta and rice once in a while but I don't overwhelm myself with them now. If there's a better choice, I would opt for the healthier option. :-)

More updates later...

No comments: