Saturday, October 08, 2005

Learning to say goodbye

I realized something new about myself today... I don't know how to say goodbye!

It's a Saturday night and it is pretty unusual for me to be at home at this time of the night but running around The Fort the whole day wore me out. (We organized an Amazing Race event for our Singles Community and it was a lot of fun!) So, I decided to just stay home and rest. Luckily, I caught the movie, Tuesdays with Morrie. At the end of the movie, I realized why I keep on holding to the past... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY GOODBYE!

When a friend leaves for another country and I will not see her for a long time, I don't really know how to say good bye so I just think that I will see her again next week. I used to be easily attached to people, things, events... After learning how they can hurt you or leave you, I have learned how to detach myself somehow but that does not solve my problem. I detach but I don't say goodbye.

I guess that maybe one of the reasons why I still have a hard time completely letting go of past hurts and relationships. I don't know how to just say good bye and let it go.

I have loved someone so amazingly that its taking me years to get over him. The funny thing is, I don't think I have been able to say goodbye completely to that relationship. How? I'm really nto sure. I can't put it behind completely.

The question now is, how do you really say goodbye? Do you say good bye by forgetting the past? Do you say goodbye by remembering what you had and then just moving on? I think I hold on to the past too much... I'm scared that it might not happen to me again. And yet, I am scared too that it might and I might be not aware that it is happening already because I have not yet said goodbye to what has been good.

No comments: