Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mini Quiche Lorraine


My pack of puff pastry has been sitting in my freezer for a few months now. I've been planning to make quiches but never had the chance. This weekend, I made it my experiment.

Ate Lilian, Kuya Marlon and Rosie, visited us (minus Glenn though coz he had to set up for Ate Lally's party) and I was so happy to serve them my Quiche Lorraine with freshly ground and brewed coffee. Thank you, Rose for mixing the coffee... pang Starbucks owner ka talaga! :-)

Recipe is from Yummy Magazine May 2010 but I doubled the recipe to make more.


Ingredients:
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (325g), thawed
1/4 cup butter
1 onion sliced
6 strips bacon, chopped
4 eggs
1 cup cream
1 cup grated tasty cheese (such as cheddar)
nutmeg
spinach leaves to serve
balsamic vinegar as sauce

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Lightly grease muffin pans and pie tins
3. Using a rolling pin and sprinkling flour on the puff pastry, flatten the pastry
4. Arrange pastry into prepared pans.
I used 6 cups muffin pan, 4 mini tart pans
5. Fill each with either kidney beans or rice grains.


6. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry puffs a little bit (don't allow it to be golden brown)
7. Remove kidney beans or rice grains. Make sure that nothing is left.
8. Reduce oven to 350F
9. Melt butter in a frying pan on high. Saute onion and bacon until onion is tender.
10. Fill each prepared pastry with an even amount of onion mixture.


11. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Sprinkle some pepper. Pour into prepared pastry.


12. Sprinke with nutmeg and then cheddar cheese.


13. Bake for 20 mins or until firm and pastry is brown and crispy.
14. Garnish with spinach leaves
15. Use balsamic vinegar as sauce if desired.


Improvements:
1. I'll use kidney beans as weights next time. It was so difficult to remove all the rice grains from the pastry
2. Will bake the pastry puff longer on the ones on tart tins.
3. I won't put water in the pan while I'm pre-baking the pastry to make it puff a bit more

Notes:
1. Don't use too much salt since the bacon, butter and cheddar will give the needed saltiness.

No comments: